I've Been Sued! What Do I Do?

A process server or sheriff just came to your door and handed you a citation and a copy of the Plaintiff's Original Petition. You have been sued. Now what?

The first step is to take a breath and read the documents. They will contain important information and deadlines concerning the lawsuit. Next, if the Petition relates to an accident or injury case, call your insurance company immediately and inform them that you have been served with a Petition. Ideally, your insurance company has already given you some advance warning that the Petition has been filed and that a process server will be delivering the documents to you. If the lawsuit comes as a surprise to you, call your insurance company, inform them about the Petition, and they should provide you with an attorney for your defense and guide you concerning what to do next. If you do not have insurance coverage or if your insurance company does not provide you a defense, contact a lawyer immediately. An attorney will know the deadlines and responsive filings that are appropriate for your particular case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response
Contact Us Today

Contact The Law Office Of Carl Knickerbocker, P.C. Call me as soon as possible. The sooner you call, the more I can do to help you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Austin Office
8200 N. Mopac Expressway
Suite 295
Austin, TX 78759

Austin Law Office Map

Georgetown Office
1801 Williams Drive
Georgetown, TX 78628

Phone: 512-943-7551
Fax: 512-943-0653
Georgetown Law Office Map

Round Rock Office
1490 Rusk Road, Suite 103
Round Rock, TX 78664

Phone: 512-948-2552
Round Rock Law Office Map